Saturday, August 06, 2005

Harry Potter



I finished reading Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince last week. I must say, though I love many books much more then the Harry Potter series, the end of that book moved me tremendously. The last time I remember being that emotionally involved with a fictional character was when I had a wild crush on a character in Stuart Little about 12 years ago. (no comments, please)

That aside, there is a great article in defense of Harry at www.ChristianCounterCulture.com, not to mention some good articles on art. Jerram Bars of the Francis Schaeffer institute talks about how John Calvin encouraged people to read the ancient pagan authors: "Calvin said on another occasion that it is a blasphemy against the Holy Spirit to deny that pagan writers like Plato wrote many things that are true and helpful"

Also, my favorite St. Anne's Pub , has a very interesting review of John Granger's Finding God in Harry Potter , which you can find in their 'On Tap' section: http://stannespub.com/ontap.asp

Interestingly, J.K. Rowling is a Presbyterian, and a member of the Church of Scotland. Anyway, sounds like a very good book. Also while browsing Rowling's Website, I found she is a fan of Dorothy Sayers and Jane Austin. Interesting.

1 Comments:

Blogger Stejahen said...

It wasn't this one was it? http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/religion/stories/073005dnrelharry.20e1185c.html

I chanced upon it from a discussion at www.artsandfaith.com
That article you posted on your blog though, was indeed pretty absurd.

And yes, I think it was the bird, if you must embarrass me. ;)

8/07/2005 7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home