Thursday, November 10, 2005

the goddess next door

While browsing Broken Beauty (see previous post), I saw a quote from my all time favorite Lewis work The Weight of Glory, I'll quote some here:

"It is a serious thing to live in a society of possible gods or goddesses, to remember that the dullest and most uninteresting person you talk to might one day be a creature which, if you saw it now, you might be strongly tempted to worship , or else a horror and a corruption such as you now meet, if at all, only in nightmare."

"There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal. Nations, cultures, arts, civilization - these are mortal, and their life is to ours as the life of a gnat. But it is immortals whom we joke with, work with, marry, snub, and exploit - immortal horrors or everlasting splendours."

"Next to the blessed sacrament itself, your neighbour is the holiest object presented to your senses. "

Wow! Even if you forget immortallity, just to know that every single person you see through out a day is an finite image of the infinite God. Makes me want to stare into the face of every stranger. Today while I ate a sorry excuse for a lunch (doritoes, lemonade, lemonade), I watched people bustling to and fro inbetween classes. I love to watch people, each one uniquely beautiful with his own life's story, walking past me.

The other night I drew random people at roumors, and drawing is more then anything else about seeing what is there. I have never truly known or seen a face more then when I am drawing it.

Lately I've been reading these two great drawing blogs:
who frequently draw strangers on bus or subway rides like this:



Anyway, all this makes me want to look at people, but even more to talk to people, and to live with people, and to know people, and to love people.

"Next to the blessed sacrament itself, your neighbor is the holiest object presented to your senses. "

2 Comments:

Blogger António Araújo said...

"(...)and drawing is more then anything else about seeing what is there. I have never truly known or seen a face more then when I am drawing it."

Very true. I could recommend, to couples who have grown mutually bored, to try and draw each other. There are so many new things to discover :)

Sometimes drawing someone is the next most intimate thing to making love to them.

That, incidentally, is why boyfriends get jealous when you draw their significant others :)

Your blog is very nice. Keep drawing, maybe we'll bump into each other one of these days on some subway station :)

Oh, and thanks for the link :)

11/11/2005 2:41 AM  
Blogger Stejahen said...

Interesting thoughts on drawing. Unfortunatly I don't have a subway to draw people on, but someday perhaps. :)

11/12/2005 11:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home