Tuesday, October 24, 2006

more on trees and cathedrals

While walking by the Library the other day I snapped this photo with my phone:
It reminds me alot of stained glass window tracery found in gothic cathedrals.
I'm continually amazed at gothic architecture and at trees for that matter.

A few weeks ago I came across this quote:

"The cylindrical pillar is always beautiful, for God has so molded the stem of every tree that it is pleasant to the eyes. The pointed arch is beautiful: it is the termination of every leaf that shakes in the summer wind, and its most fortunate associations are directly borrowed from the trefoiled grass of the field, or from the stars of its flowers."

-John Ruskin

Here are my previous posts on the subject:

Trees and Cathedrals
The Gothic Enterprise
Chesterton on Gothic and Greek Sculpture
Tree Column
Architecture and Music, Goethe and Augustine

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home