Sunday, October 15, 2006

Sketchcrawl

(I decided to post this on both blogs, though I won't normally)

After listening about Sketchcrawling on friday I really wanted to do one, so, yesterday I wake up at about noon, and I'm not really in the mood for a sketch marathon, but I had some movies to return to blockbuster and having a broken bike and no car, I thought I might as well go by sketchbook and feet.

So..

random aggies: and another one of my fav. trees:
if beautiful women were trees this would be one:



First I went to the SCC to scan the last's post's drawings,
while I was there I sketched, and debated about where
to eat lunch:



I decided on Taco Cabana, which is sort of on the way to blockbuster...


(click on the maps to go there on google maps)

So I walk through this field and decide to sketch plants,
but my "financial aid" pens that I picked up the day before
really do suck as the lady told me, so, I goto office max and buy
some blue 12/1$ pens (on sale), then I go to Barnes and Noble and
sketch people there:



After B&N I eat at Taco C. while reading a good book on aesthetics

Then move on... sketch myself in a store window...



Return my movies....


Head towards the neighboring parking lot




And sketch a telephone pole and street light in the parking lot,
wander south, sketching trees and plants



About now I pick up this strange looking thing I'll call a brain-fruit, which I sketch, and take a pic of with my cell phone(along with an interesting flower):



Let me know if you know what they are called.

So, I end up here...



....and draw the backs of these stores, which was fun,
and perhaps the best sketch of the day:



during all this I'm listening to Ennio Morricone, Moulin Rouge, and (to complete a natural list) some Douglas Wilson sermons.



So I head over to Sweet Eugene's Coffee shop to sketch people,
and on the way I sketch a car and a tree, and see the Sunset:






While sketching people, I get 'noticed' and pointed at by a group of people, who proceed to randomly stare at me at take my picture with a flash. Keep in mind, this is College Station, Tx, where any art has shock value.

As I grow tired of sketching, I run into "a geek with reasonably good social skills" and have some good philosophy/theology conversation.

The End.

3 Comments:

Blogger Susan Hartland Olmstead said...

haha! that's been the most rewarding blog i've read in a while. i think you're the king of random.

10/16/2006 12:22 AM  
Blogger Vickie said...

you have inspired me and that's not easy

10/17/2006 6:06 AM  
Blogger Welcome Indoors said...

Thats a great post. I really like the idea of mapping your daily journey. I think Ill have to do that next time I go 'urban exploring'. Also, I think your sketch blog is very good. Keep it up.
~Anklepants

11/04/2006 12:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home