Monday, September 26, 2005

A new book

While looking for books at half price to buy and resell last Thursday, I found a great book (which I had never heard of) on Christian Aesthetics by Leland Rykan. It's called Culture in Christian Perspective.

Leland Rykan was the literary editor for the new ESV translation of the Bible, and he also edited the book I talk about in this post.

I often judge a book by how many times it references or quotes all the cool authors. So I flick back to the index:

Let's see
Augustine , good,
Calvin several times,
Dante, Da Vinci, *nod*
Dostoevsky 5 times, good
T.S. Eliot a few times, good
Lewis about 40 times, excellent
Eric Liddell, 2 eprops
Milton, about 20
Flannery O'Conner, 25, this is looking good
Rookmakker, cool
Sayers, 20
Schaefer, 25
Shakespeare, a decent number of times
Tolkien, 6 times
and top it of with Van Til, Vieth, and Wolterstorff!

So according to the Stephen-Index-Scale, it should score pretty close to 10.

I got it for 6 at Half Price, but you can get it for 2.10$ on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0880701153/qid=1127717636/sr=1-30/ref=sr_1_30/103-8108546-5096637?v=glance&s=books

2 Comments:

Blogger Susan Hartland Olmstead said...

Lol. Stephen you're so smart.
Last night, I went to the bookstore too except I bought such jewels as 'Einstein's Letters to Children' and other essential literary genius. I'll be sure to read it out loud though - to get the intended effect.

9/27/2005 3:21 PM  
Blogger Stejahen said...

Heh, cool Susan.

9/27/2005 9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home