Friday, June 24, 2005

Bashful arrogance



Last week I listened to the Man who was Thursday by G.K. Chesterton. (From http://www.audiobooksforfree.com/ You have to register, and the quality isn't that great, but it's free!) Apart from the beginning of Orthodoxy, it was the first I've read of Chesterton. And, I must say I was not disappointed. Chesterton was one of those authors I'vd always heard was so good, it was great to find out that he really is! Same with Dostoevsky.
Here are some great lines:

"And it is always the humble man who talks too much; the proud man watches
himself too closely. "


That indeed is my kind of pride.

"The rare, strange thing is to hit the mark; the gross, obvious thing is to miss it."

and

"There he saw the sister of Gregory, the girl with the gold-red hair, cutting lilac before breakfast, with the great unconscious gravity of a girl."

____________________________________

Free Audio
I suppose now is as good a time as any to mention some good free audio available on the internet:

www.ccel.org Great collection of Christian Classics books, and several Audio books too. (Notes from the Underground By Dostoevsky)

www.audible.com I just got a free 2 week trial, where I can download 3 free audiobooks to keep! I got That Hideous Strength by Lewis, Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell by Susanna Clarke, and I'm going to get the Idiot by Dostoevsky. And actually, after that all there books are on sale for 9.99, normally being about 40$! So I'll probably get Augustine's Confessions, and some other stuff. If you want to convert them to MP3 you need this software though (http://www.goldwave.com/) as per these instructions (link).

http://www.marshillaudio.org/cdbonus/default.asp Mars Hill has a bunch of free tracks online now. (great interviews on all kinds of subjects)

http://www.maclaurin.org/mp3s.php Great Lectures on all sorts of topics from a biblical worldveiw. (art, literature, philosophy, science, and technology, etc)

www.stannespub.com An audio magazine inspired by Mars Hill and Credenda Agenda

1 Comments:

Blogger Stejahen said...

The lady that does the audio, (for which I am thankful) has a rather dull voice, but, oddly enough, it fit perfectly with 'Notes from the Underground.'

6/25/2005 3:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home