Monday, July 04, 2005

Against Christianity

"Theology tells us that God is eternal and unchangeable in His being, wisdom, power, holiness, justice, goodness and truth.

The Bible tells us that God relents because He is God (Joel 2:13-14), that God is "shrewd with the shrewd" (Ps. 18:25-29), that He rejoices over us with shouting (Zeph 3:14-20), and that He is an eternal whirlwind of triune communion and love.

Theology is a "Victorian enterprise, neoclassically bright and neat and clean, nothing out of place.

Whereas the Bible talks about hair, blood, sweat, entrails, menstruation and genital emissions."

Liethart , from Against Christianity (p.46-47)

[edit] Hey, this post just disappeared suddenly, sorry about that, but I now repost it, also I'm going to quote some of the preface that might qualify this a little:

"I cannot hope to convince readers or prove anything here, since I have certainly not provided enough argument or evidence to compel agreement. I hope instead to hint at , gesture towards, trace, or sketch what may be a fresh approach to the issues I discuss, more to change the readers angle of vision then persuade."

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It has bothered me for a long time that the Christianity we experience is so different from the one portrayed in the Bible. We live a safe, clean existence. Sometimes I wish I was born in a country where Christianity was persecuted openly and violently, then if I still believed in God it would really be something. I feel like I just take an easy, convenient path here. I feel like my faith in God is rather shallow. I just get frustrated when I read the Bible and don't see passion for God in myself the way it could be.

12/08/2005 4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home